Sprint Tech quartet of Tarika "Tinkerbell" Moses, left, Beyonce DeFreitas, Karene King and Lakeisha "Mimi" Warner, became the first BVI women to run a 4 x 400m Relay indoors and established a record of 3:45.34
Three indoor records were set during a busy weekend for BVI athletes in Boston and Arizona, marking the fourth straight week a record had been broken, while two National Youth Records were established on home soil. Records were established for 13 straight weeks in 2015.
Competing at the Boston University John Thomas Terrier Classic on Friday, Ashley Kelly kicked off the banner weekend that saw BVI athletes winning several heats of the competition and being among the Top 10 performances.
Kelly ran 23.69 seconds to win the third heat of the 200m with the competition's second best time, ahead of Karene King's 23.92, to claim King's 2-year old record of 23.73, also established in Boston. Kelly was second in her 400m heat and fifth overall in 53.47 seconds, a season's best effort. Her time is second to Chantel Malone's indoor mark of 53.23.
To wrap up Friday's competition, the Sprint Tech quartet of Tarika "Tinkerbell" Moses, Beyonce DeFreitas, King and Lakeisha "Mimi" Warner, became the first BVI foursome assembled for an indoor 4x400m Relay. They won the third heat, beating Boston College by two seconds as well as Morgan State and Manhattan in the process, with a time of 3 minutes 45.34 seconds. The time was the sixth best mark of the competition and established a BVI record in the process.
In other individual competition, Moses outdistanced the field to win the 500m overall with a time of one minute 11.60. Warner-who won heat 5-placed fifth overall in 1:13.43, followed in sixth by teammate Jonel Lacey's 1:13.72 in winning the seventh heat. Judine Lacey took the 10th heat in 1:16.00.
DeFreitas was second in her 200m heat in 24.53 seconds and L'T'Sha Fahie- won her 60m section in 7.54 seconds-which stood up as the meet's second best mark was also second in the 200m in 24.98.
In Saturday's male competition, K'Cei Moses ran 7.09 seconds to win the ninth heat of the 60m dash, while Rikkoi Bratwaithe was eight in the second heat in 7.00. Moses won section 26 of the 200m in 22.25 seconds, while Brathwaite ran 22.36 for second in Section 15. Josh Hill won the 16th heat of the 500m with a time of 1:08.37.
Record throw in Arizona
Central Arizona College sophomore Tynelle Gumbs, upped her Weight Throw record from 17.28m to 17.84m, in her 2016 debut, to win the Paradise Valley Community College Indoor meet in Phoenix. The mark qualified her for Jr. College Indoor Nationals. Twin sister Trevia was fourth with a heave of 15.27m. Trevia finished fourth in the Shot Put with a fourth round throw of 13.81m.
Eldred Henry used a 17.56m effort to win the Shot Put and booked a ticket to the Jr. College Nationals. He was second in the Weight Throw with a 15.62m heave ensuring he'll see action at Nationals in a second event.
Kyron McMaster made his collegiate debut for Central Arizona, with a second place finish in the 400m in 48.93 seconds. He will join Gumbs, Henry and South Plains College's Taylor Hill who qualified in the 60m, at March 4-5 JUCO Nationals in Winston Salem, North Carolina.
St. Augustine Jr. Khari Herbert won this 200m heat in 22.49 seconds at the Camel City Invite in North Carolina. He led off the 4x400m Relay with a 48.77 seconds split, helping them to second overall with a time of 3 minutes 14.79 seconds.
In Jamaica, Nelda Huggins was second in her heat and fourth overall in the Queen's Grace Kennedy Invitational 200m. She debuted with a time of 24.51 seconds.
At the Houston Invitational and Multis, sprinter Tahesia Harrigan-Scott ran a season's best 7.30 seconds to finish third in the 60m dash. She ran 7.36 in the semis.
Gumbs take two Marks
Djimon Gumbs put his name on two National Youth Records to highlight the BVI Athletics Association Development Series meet.
Gumbs heaved the 5k Shot Put out to 15.58m, to erase Kadeon Potter's 2-year old mark, then heaved the 1.5k Discus out to 46.50m.
BVIAA DEVELOPMENT MEET #7 RESULTS
January 15, 2016
ALL TIMES ARE FULLY ELECTRONIC (no wind gauge)
1. Tamri Thomas 12.20; 2) Khloe Harrigan- 12.80; 3) Shyra Stoutt- 13.09; 4) Taryn Augustine-13.40; 5) Riley Brewley- 13.90; 6) Kaylee Tucker- 18.20.
1) ASIA McMaster - 12.69; 2) Zaria Johnney - 12.93; 3) Nejma Robinson - 12.94; 4) SHANIQUE GLASGOW - 13.06; 5) SHARIKA HENDRICKSON - 13.67; 6) KENNIQUA GRATE - 14.61
1) Akeela Mcmaster - 14.26; 2) Cassidy Williams- 14.29; 3) Kaelyah Liburd - 14.36; 4) Ariyah Smith - 14.50; 5) Aniyah Findlay - 15.27; 6) D'naesia Springette - 15.32; 7) Reeiah Woodley - 15.35
1) Xiomara Malone 13.40; 2) Crystal Mitchel - 14..59
1) Britney Williams- 13.30; 2) Naya Penn - 13.53; 3) Kala Penn 13.55; 4)Arianna Hayde - 13.70
1)KAELYNN LIBURD - 46.16; 2) Kenyatta Grate - 48.43; 3) Anaya Findlay - 49.37; 4) Cassidy Williams-50.82
1) Tashira Edwards - 42.06; 2) Akrisa Eristee - 42.14; 3) Alisha Hayde- 44.57
1kg: 1) Kiwana Emmanuel- 28.60; 2) Javlyn Frett - 28.55
4kg: 1) BRITNEY PETERS - 9.45
1) Kayla Penn - 5.19m; 2) Arianna Hayde - 5.08m; 3) Xiomara Malone- 4.95m; 4) Ariyah Smith- 4.09m; 5) Kenyatta Grate- 3.67m
1)Tiondre Frett - 13.03; 2) Latriel Williams - 13.07; 3) Ty'rique Charles 14.94
1) D'lano Hodge - 12.02; 2) Kshawn Martin - 12.40; 3) Johari Lacey- 12.49; 4) Sean Samuel - 12.52; 5) JAYQOI HOPKINS - 14.52
1) Kyba Dawson - 13.98; 2) Carlyiek Benjamin - 14.01; 3) Tkhoy Stevens - 14.61; 4) Jaleel Smith - 17.48
1) Malaki Smith - 12.04; 2) WANYAE BELL - 13.54; 3)J'mari Duhaney- 14.90
1) Akeem Bradshaw - 11.44; 2) Keanu George- 12.13; 3) Josh Lynch - 12.42; 4) Osiah Vanterpool - 12.45; 5) TYRIQUE BRADSHAW - 13.06; 6) Ajaalee Malone - 13.12
1) Jaden Augustine- 5:01.56
1) Kaleem Lettsome - 48.73; 2) Sean Samuel - 49.46; 3) Kshawn Martin- 51.47
1) T'khoy Stevens - 49.67; 2) AJAALI MALONE - 51.76
1) WANYEA BELLE - 44.91; 2) J'MARI DUHANEY - 46.23
U.18 TO OPEN
1) Mikkel Bassue - 52.17; 2) Adriano Gumbs - 52.18; 3) Valique Graham - 52.43; 4) GEVAN SMITH - 54.60; 5) Khoy Vanterpool - 58.90; 6) Keanu George - 59.00; 7) Ryan Joseph- 1:00.55
5kg: 1) Djimon Gumbs - 15.58; 2) Diamate Gumbs - 12.50; 3)Deshoy Ward- 10.40M; 4) Dejahni Ward- 5.90
7.25kg: 1) KEVIN VANTERPOOL - 10.44
1) Akeem Bradshaw - 6.46M; 2) Andre Turnbull - 5.88; 3) Malaki Smith- 5.30; 4) Vadley Sylvester-4.69; 5) Kybah Dawson- 4.32; 6) Dlano Hodge- 3.81
1) Djimon Gumbs- 46.50; 2) Deshoy Ward- 34.45; 3) Kevin Vanterpool- 33.05; 4) Diamante Gumbs-32.40; 5)Dejahni Ward-15.70